Bloggers are often the only real journalists in countries where the mainstream media is censored or under pressure. Only they provide independent news, at the risk of displeasing the government and sometimes courting arrest. Reporters Without Borders has produced this handbook to help them, with handy tips and technical advice on how to remain anonymous and to get round censorship, by choosing the most suitable method for each situation.
It also explains how to set up and make the most of a blog, to publicise it (getting it picked up efficiently by search-engines) and to establish its credibility through observing basic ethical and journalistic principles. The handbook offers practical advice and techniques on how to create a blog, make entries and get the blog to show up in search engine results. It gives clear explanations about blogging for all those whose online freedom of expression is subject to restrictions, and it shows how to sidestep the censorship measures imposed by certain governments, with a practical example that demonstrates the use of the censorship circumvention software Tor.
Table of Contents
- Bloggers, A New Source Of News
- What’s A Blog ?
- The Language Of Blogging
- Choosing The Best Tool
- How To Set Up And Run A Blog
- What Ethics Should Blogueurs Have ?
- Getting Your Blog Picked Up By Search-Engines
- What Really Makes A Blog Shine ?
- Personal Accounts
- How To Blog Anonymously With Wordpress And Tor
- Technical Ways To Get Round Censorship
- Ensuring Your E-Mail Is Truly Private
- The 2008 Golden Scissors Of Cyber-Censorship
Download Free PDF / Read Online
File size: 2.29 MB
Number of pages: 81