Free online book “A short introduction to operating systems” by Mark Burgess. An operating system is a layer of software which takes care of technical aspects of a computer’s operation.
It shields the user of the machine from the low-level details of the machine’s operation and provides frequently needed facilities. There is no universal definition of what an operating system consists of. You can think of it as being the software which is already installed on a machine, before you add anything of your own.
Table of Contents
- What is an operating system?
- Single-task OS
- Multi-tasking and multi-user OS
- Processes and Thread
- Memory and storage
- Networks: Services and protocols
- TCP/IP Networks and Security: design considerations
- Security: design considerations
Download Free PDF / Read Online