Free online book “Search User Interfaces” by Marti Hearst. This book focuses on the human users of search engines and the tool they use to interact with them: the search user interface. This book summarizes these developments, presenting the state of the art of search interface design, both in academic research and in deployment in commercial systems.
Many books describe the algorithms behind search engines and information retrieval systems, but the unique focus of this book is specifically on the user interface. It will be welcomed by industry professionals who design systems that use search interfaces as well as graduate students and academic researchers who investigate information systems.
Table of Contents
- Design of Search User Interfaces
- Evaluation of Search User Interfaces
- Models of the Information Seeking Process
- Query Specification
- Presentation of Search Results
- Query Reformulation
- Supporting the Search Process
- Integrating Navigation with Search
- Personalization in Search
- Information Visualization for Search Interfaces
- Information Visualization for Text Analysis
- Emerging Trends in Search Interfaces
Number of pages: 404
Link: Read online.