Free eBook “Effective Windows PowerShell – Grok Windows PowerShell and Get More From It.” by Keith Hill.
I wanted to capture some of the tidbits I have picked up over the last couple of years using Windows PowerShell interactively and writing production build and test scripts. These items were written for PowerShell 1.0. Where appropriate I have added PowerShell 2.0 Update sections to discuss how the item is affected by the upcoming 2.0 release. As a final note, a number of the PowerShell code snippets shown use functionality from the PowerShell Community Extensions which can be downloaded from http://www.codeplex.com/PowerShellCX.
Table of Contents
- Four Cmdlets that are the Keys to Discovery within PowerShell
- Understanding Output
- Know What Objects Are Flowing Down the Pipeline
- Output Cardinality – Scalars, Collections and Empty Sets
- Use the Objects, Luke. Use the Objects!
- Know Your Output Formatters
- Understanding PowerShell Parsing Modes
- Understanding ByPropertyName Pipeline Bound Parameters
- Understanding ByValue Pipeline Bound Parameters
- Error Handling
- Regular Expressions – One of the Power Tools in PowerShell
- Comparing Arrays
- Use Set-PSDebug -Strict In Your Scripts – Religiously
- Commenting Out Lines in a Script File
- Using the Output Field Separator Variable $OFS
Download Free PDF / Read Online
File size: 1.24 MB
Number of pages: 61