This book first describes the incredibly exciting history of how Smalltalk was built from scratch. It then goes on to show the way in which Smalltalk was made public.
The papers in this book should be of value to other Smalltalk-80 implementors. To implement the Smalltalk-80 system, one has to match the specification with his or her own hardware environment.Each of the groups represented in this book had different experiences with this problem. In addition, some of the groups tested (or speculated about) various schemes for better Smalltalk-80 virtual machine implementations.
Table of Contents
- The Smalltalk-80 System Release Process
- The Evolution of the Smalltalk Virtual Machine
- The Smalltalk-80 Code File Format
- Design Decisions for Smalltalk-80 Implementors
- Implementing the Smalltalk-80 System: The The Smalltalk-80 Implementation at Hewlett-Packard
- The Dorado Smalltalk-80 Implementation: Hard-ware Architecture’s Impact on Software Architecture
- The Design and Implementation of VAX/Smalltalk-80
Publisher: Addison Wesley
Format(s): PDF, Doc
File size: 23.4 MB
Number of pages: 342