Free eBook “Mastering SQL Server 2005 Profiler” by Brad McGehee, DBA expert with over 12 years’ experience. SQL Server Profiler is one of the most useful of SQL Server’s “built-in” tools, recording data about various SQL Server events.
“Mastering SQL Server Profiler” will make it easier for you to learn how to use Profiler, analyze the data it provides, and to take full advantage of its potential for troubleshooting SQL Server problems. All the examples have been optimized to work with both SQL Server 2005 and 2008.
Most DBAs are still using SQL Server 2005, so all the examples in this book are based on SQL Server 2005 Profiler. However, the differences between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 are minimal. While you may notice some minor cosmetic changes between the two editions, and discover that SQL Server 2008 includes a few new events, every example in this book will work with SQL Server 2008 and everything you learn here is applicable to both SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008. In fact, most of what is covered in this book also applies to SQL Server 2000, although you will want to
use the SQL Server 2005 Profiler tool to access your SQL Server 2000 instances.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Profiler
- Working with Traces and Templates
- Profiler GUI Tips and Tricks
- How to Identify Slow Running Queries
- How to Identify and Troubleshoot SQL Server Problems
- Using Profiler to Audit Database Activity
- Using Profiler with the Database Engine Tuning Advisor
- Correlating Profiler with Performance Monitor
- How to Capture Profiler Traces Programmatically
- Profiler Best Practices
- Profiler Events and Data Columns Explained
File size: 16.60 MB
Number of pages: 306